Sunday, March 13, 2011

Where will you be when an emergency strikes?


My husband and I had a very interesting experience while we were in Hawaii. The last night there we went up to our hotel room after having dinner. While my husband was getting us some water from the store in the lobby I started flipping through the channels only to stop on a news channel and see that there was a tsunami watch. After a few minutes they changed it to a warning. My husband finally got up to the room and I said you have to watch the news. We soon learned that we were going to have to be evacuated to the top floor of our hotel. The news then said that the water was going to be shut off on the island and to fill bath tubs, sinks, anything that will hold water. It really started to get scary not knowing what was going to happen or how bad things were going to be. They closed the airport. We didnt know if we were going to be able to fly home the next day.

As all this is going on I was thinking if I was home I wouldn`t have to be running around filling glasses, bowls and sinks just so we would have water. We wouldn't have to run to the store just to get food. I have water and food stored at home.

A lot of people have food/emergency storage at home, in their cars or even at work. That is great! But what do you have when your on vacation? You really cant travel/fly with your food & water storage. But next time I go on vacation i will be bringing at least some food bars with me. They arent big, they dont weigh very much but they will help sustain life! Something is better than nothing.

Here is a pic of a stairway on the beach. The sand was about 2 inches or so below the top of the bottom step. The tsunami waves washed the sand out from around and under the steps.

Thanks goodness there wasnt really any damage and no one was hurt. But it sure made me think about things.

My thoughts and prayers go out to those in Japan!

No comments:

Post a Comment