Sunday, August 28, 2011

Homemade Bagels

Bagels formed
I just learned that there is nothing better than homemade bagels!  My kids are even fighting over them!  I was trying to take a picture and my kids were hovering over them waiting to be the first one to get a bagel.  I dont blame them though I was thinking the same thing!

These are very easy to make.  I am all about easy.  They came out with a nice crunchy outside and a soft inside.

Homemade Bagels

4 1/2 c. flour (any mixture of white and wheat will work)
1 1/2 c. warm water
Bagels after rising
2 pkgs yeast (4 1/2 tsp)
3 Tbs. sugar
1 Tbs. salt
1 Tbs. honey
1 Tbs baking powder

Toppings (optional):
cinnamon raisin (I would add to dough)
dehydrated onions
parmesan cheese
shredded cheese of choice
really any toppings you like you can add to these.

Bagels in boiling water
Combine 1 1/2 c. flour, water, yeast, sugar & salt.  Mix for 30 seconds on low and the 3 minutes on medium. 

Mix in 1/2 c. of flour at a time until the dough becomes stiff.  About 2 1/2 c.  The recipe says to use remaining flour to knead for 7 minutes on the counter with.  My dough was too firm to knead so I just let it knead in the mixer for 7 minutes. 

Cover and let rise for 10 minutes.

Shape and place on a greased cookie sheet.  Tip for forming: pinch the ends together well or they will come apart when they rise and boil.  As you can see I found that out on a few of mine.  Let them rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350.

Finished
Bring a lg pot of water to a rolling boil.  Add honey and baking powder.  Add the bagels to the pot 3 or 4 at a time.  Simmer 7 minutes flipping over half way through.  Remove with a slotted spoon and place on greased cookie sheet. 

If you want to top bagels brush with egg wash and then top.  Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown on top.


My kids are STILL fighting over these.  My 6 yr old wanted to give one to a friend he is playing with and my other kids are yelling at him.  I have very picky kids so for them to go to this extent really says a lot!

No comments:

Post a Comment