Monday, August 15, 2011

Granola Bars & Fruit Roll Ups!

As I was sitting here earlier with nothing to do....that NEVER happens here.  I always have something to do.  I have 4 kids.  There is always something to do, laundry, pick up after kids, dishes ect.  My oldest daughter has been in California for the past 4 weeks with my Aunt, she will be home next week.  My oldest son left for a week at scout camp yesterday.  So its just me, my 4 and 6 year old at home.  The whole house is clean.  Not dirty laundry, no dishes, no messes to pick up.  What do I do.  I`m not use to sitting around.  While browsing on the internet I found a few new recipes.  So I BAKED!

I found a new recipe for homemade granola.  I actually just took it out of the oven.  The other recipe I found is for fruit roll ups.  I will start those soon.  They have to sit a while so I will post the recipe and results tomorrow.

As for the granola bars here you go!

  • 2 1/4 cups rolled oats
  • 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 1/3 cup bean puree (blend white beans and enough water to form a puree-the consistency should be that of a smoothie-in your blender)
  • 5 T. honey
  • 3 T. cup packed brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup rice krispies
  • 1/2 cup toasted shredded coconut, optional
  • ½ cup chopped almonds, optional
  • 1 cup craisins*
  • 1 cup white chocolate chips*

Preheat oven to 325 degrees F . Lightly grease one 9x13 inch pan. In a large mixing bowl combine the oats, flour, baking soda, vanilla, bean puree, honey and brown sugar. Stir in the coconut, rice krispies, craisins, white chocolate chips and nuts.

Lightly press mixture into the prepared pan. Bake at 325 degrees F for 18 to 22 minutes or until golden brown. Let cool for 10 minutes then cut into bars. Let bars cool completely in pan before removing or serving.

*You can use any combination of add-ins you would like just make sure it equals 2 cups. Some ideas may be raisins, chocolate chips, etc.

These were so easy to make!  You have to try them.  You can watch a video of Crystal making these here.

I just love Crystal, she always has the most yummy recipes and the most useful tips!

No comments:

Post a Comment